Quick Links
Skip to main contentSkip to navigation

Wahoo Public Schools


Ajax Loading Image


2007-2008 Warrior Basketball Team

Warriors' Season Ends with Loss to Neumann at Sub-District Finals

2007-2008 Record: 12-9


Congratulations to Taylor Murren for being named first team All Conference. Congratulations also to Grant Anderson and Austin Watton for being named Honorable Mention All Conference.

Bishop Neumann (Finals, Sub-Districts @ Seward)--February 21, 2008

Wahoo    66
Bishop Neumann    76

The Wahoo Warriors season was ended by the Bishop Neumann Cavaliers in the Sub-District Finals at Seward 76-66 on Thursday night.

The Warriors jumped out to the early lead against Neumann and led 12-5 after a Jake Barry field goal. Neumann would come back and take a 15-14 lead after one period.

The second quarter stayed close and Neumann led 36-33 at halftime.

In the third quarter, Neumann led 41-40 with 3 minutes left, when they went on a 12-0 run to end the quarter. Alex Kuhfahl had 8 of the 12 points in that run.

In the fourth quarter, Wahoo would make one last run. A trey from Layne Moore followed by two Taylor Murren free throws, cut the Cavalier lead to 56-51. Following a missed Neumann shot, the Warriors had a chance to cut the lead to 2, but the Warriors missed a trey. Dylan McGill then hit back-to-back buckets for the Cavaliers followed by a Kurt Chvatal basket, and the Cavalier lead was back to 11 at 62-51. Neumann would hit their last 10 free throws to close out the Warriors.

"That run at the end of the third quarter was huge. We were battling, competing well, down 1, but a 13-point deficit is too much to overcome against a good team like Neumann. I thought both teams played really hard. Kuhfahl and Leutkenhaus really shot it well for them, and they really hurt us on the glass," said Coach Kevin Scheef.

"This is a disappointing loss, but I am really proud of the kids and the way that we finished up the season. Between the Schuyler game and the first two rounds of Sub-Districts, we probably played our best three games of the year. You want to be playing your best basketball at the end of the season, and I feel like we were, and that is a real credit to our kids, and especially our seniors," Scheef added.

Wahoo was led by Taylor Murren with 20 points and 5 assists. Austin Watton added 15 points. Grant Anderson contributed 12 points and 7 boards, and David Stuchlik added 10 points and 5 boards. Layne Moore added 7 points, 5 boards, and 5 assists.

Neumann out-rebounded Wahoo 38-27, and was 9-23 from behind the arc. Wahoo ends its season at 12-9, while Neumann improves to 13-8 and will face Boys Town in the District Finals.

David City (Second Round, Sub-Districts @ Seward)--February 19, 2008

Wahoo    62
David City    61

Taylor Murren's 35-foot shot at the buzzer allowed the Wahoo Warriors to escape and keep their season alive with a 62-61 win over David City in District action at Seward.

David City jumped out to leads of 7-0 and 16-9 in the first quarter. Wahoo closed with an 8-1 run to end the quarter on baskets from David Stuchlik, Taylor Murren, Grant Anderson, and Austin Watton, to tie it up after one at 17.

The second quarter saw David City lead most of the way. The Scouts went up 29-21 after a Harley Fiala bucket. David City led 35-29 at halftime.

The Scouts still led 41-34 midway through the third quarter after Seth Behrens' basket. The Warriors then caught fire. Three straight baskets from Grant Anderson and two more from Austin Watton completed an 11-0 run that put the Warriors up 45-41. Wahoo led 51-47 heading into the fourth quarter.

A conventional 3-point play from the Scouts' Kyle Hilger closed the Warrior lead to 51-50 early in the fourth. Two free throws apiece from Hilger and Nolan Vandenberg put David City up 54-51. A basket from Grant Anderson cut the lead to 54-53, but two free throws from Aaron Schmid and a Vandenberg basket pushed the Scout lead to 58-53 with 3:00 minutes left. Following a missed Warrior trey, Austin Watton came up with a big steal for the Warriors on a possession, that could have put David City up 7. Following Watton's steal, Anderson converted on the other end to cut the lead to 58-55. One free throw from Broderick Sylvester made it 59-55 David City. Austin Watton's bucket with 2:05 left cut the lead to 59-57. Following a David City turnover, Taylor Murren hit 2 free throws with 1:29 left to tie it up at 59. David City then held the ball for the last shot. Harley Fiala's shot with 6 seconds left hit nothing, but Kyle Hilger grabbed the errant shot and laid it in with 3.8 seconds left. Following a Warrior time out, Murren went up the floor, stumbled and almost lost it, but regained control and put up the 35 foot shot at the buzzer that rattled in.

"It was a tremendous high school basketball game, that we were very fortunate to win. What a great play by Taylor at the end, but our entire team made some big plays in the fourth quarter that gave us the opportunity to win it at the end. Grant Anderson made some very big plays for us tonight, and played very well against some talented big men for David City. Austin Watton made some huge plays for us tonight as well, and just played a complete game. It was a great win for us," said Coach Kevin Scheef.

Grant Anderson led Wahoo with 19 points. Taylor Murren and Austin Watton added 16 points a piece. Watton also had 7 boards, 7 assists and 6 steals. David Stuchlik had 7 rebounds and 5 assists, and Anderson added 6 boards, and Jake Barry added 5.

Wahoo improves to 12-8 and will face Bishop Neumann on Thursday in the Sub-District Finals. David City finishes its season at 17-4.

North Bend (First Round, Sub-Districts @ Seward)--February 18, 2008

Wahoo    63
North Bend    53

The Wahoo Warriors defeated the North Bend Tigers 63-53 in first round district action Monday night at Seward High School. The game was a rematch of six days earlier, in which North Bend won on a half court shot at the buzzer.

The game was close throughout. It was tied at 19 after one quarter of play, and the Tigers led 31-29 at halftime. Neither team led by more than 5 throughout the first half. The third quarter stayed tight as well, and North Bend led 44-42 heading into the final stanza.

North Bend scored the first four points of the fourth quarter to take their largest lead of the game at 48-42, behind back-to-back buckets from Tyler Kingston. The Warriors would respond though. Austin Watton, who had been quiet through the first three quarters, scored the next nine points of the game, on two jumpers, a trey, and two free throws. Grant Anderson would finish with a nice post move and basket to complete the 11-0 run to give the Warriors a 53-48 lead. Kingston would convert a conventional three-point play to cut the lead to 53-51, but the Warriors' David Stuchlik hit a big trey on the other end to push the lead back to 5 at 56-51 with 2:10 left. Free throws from Taylor Murren, Watton, Jake Barry, and David Stuchlik would seal the win for the Warriors, 63-53.

"It was a tough win. Neither team was able to pull away through 3 quarters. Just when it was not looking good, early in the fourth, Austin Watton made some big plays for us, and that 11-0 run was the game," said Coach Kevin Scheef. "David Stuchlik made some big shots for us tonight, which was important. His trey, after they had cut the lead to 2 midway through the fourth, was huge. Taylor played extremely well again for us tonight."

Taylor Murren led Wahoo with 24 points, 5 boards, and 6 steals. David Stuchlik added 15 points. Grant Anderson contributed 11 points and 6 boards, and Austin Watton had 10 points, all of which came in the fourth quarter.

Turnovers were a big factor for the Warriors. Wahoo forced 21 North Bend turnovers, while committing just 11 themselves.

Wahoo improves to 11-8, and will face David City on Tuesday night. North Bend's season ends at 11-10.

Schuyler (Home)--February 15, 2008

Wahoo    76
Schuyler    51

The Wahoo Warriors closed out the regular season with an impressive 76-51 blowout of the Schuyler Warriors.

Wahoo led by one point after the first quarter 21-20. In the second quarter, Wahoo trailed 28-27 with 4:30 left. Wahoo used an 11-1 run to close the half. Baskets from Grant Anderson, Layne Moore, and Austin Watton started the run, and Anderson scored with 5 seconds left in the half to put Wahoo up 38-29 at halftime.

In the third quarter, Wahoo got out to a fast start. Taylor Murren hit a trey, then two free throws, and David Stuchlik scored off an offensive rebound, to put Wahoo up 45-29. The Warriors just kept expanding the lead from that point on, and two David Stuchlik free throws put Wahoo up by 23, 62-39 heading into the final quarter.

In the fourth quarter, Wahoo stretched the lead to as many as 31, at 76-45, until reserves closed out the game.

"Our kids, every one of them, just did a super job tonight. This was a really special effort that they gave. Schuyler has a nice team, and for us coming off of an extremely disappointing game on Tuesday, I thought our kids just competed extremely hard. I am really happy for our three seniors, Grant, Austin, and David. Each of them played very well, and to do it on Senior night in their last home game, was a neat thing for them," said Coach Kevin Scheef.

“Austin may have played the best game of his career tonight. Taylor played a great game, and has really taken his game to a new level the last few weeks. Layne Moore hit some shots for us tonight for us which is big, and Jake Barry always gives a tremendous effort out there," Scheef added.

Wahoo out-rebounded Schuyler 36-20, in an area that has been a problem for Wahoo all season. Jake Barry led Wahoo with 8 boards, David Stuchlik added 7, and Austin Watton added 6.

Taylor Murren led Wahoo with 23 points. Austin Watton added 17 points, 6 assists, 6 boards, and 4 steals. Grant Anderson had 12 points. David Stuchlik added 10 points, 7 boards, and 4 assists. Layne Moore contributed 8 points, and Jake Barry added 6 points.

Wahoo improves to 10-8, while Schuyler drops to 9-11. Wahoo will now face North Bend on Monday, in first round District action at Seward at 6:30.

North Bend (Home)--February 12, 2008

Wahoo    61
North Bend    62

North Bend's Tony Hartman let fly a shot from one step inside of half court that banked in at the buzzer to give the Tigers a 62-61 win. Wahoo's Taylor Murren had just hit a 15-foot shot with 4 seconds left to put Wahoo up 61-59. North Bend then called time out, just before Hartman's shot.

North Bend jumped out to a 15-8 lead late in the first quarter. Baskets from Grant Anderson, Jake Barry, and Austin Watton closed the lead to 15-14 after one quarter.

The second quarter saw the lead change hands before North Bend went to halftime with a 27-23 lead.

The third quarter saw North Bend go on a 9-0 run to take a 36-25 lead midway through the quarter. North Bend still led 40-31 with two minutes left in the period, when Wahoo went on an 8-1 run, with 7 of those points coming from Taylor Murren, to cut the Tiger lead to 41-39 after three quarters.

The first five minutes of the fourth quarter would be all Wahoo, as the Warriors turned a two point deficit into a nine point lead at 56-47 with 3:04 left after two Grant Anderson free throws. Murren had 10 of his game high 25 points in the fourth quarter, and Anderson had 10 of his 14 points in the fourth quarter. North Bend's Drew Hines hit a trey to cut the Warrior lead to 57-55 with 1:20 left. Following a Wahoo miss, Tyler Kingston hit a short jumper to tie the game at 57. Two Anderson free throws put Wahoo up 59-57 with 48 seconds left. Alex Hines got loose on a back door move with 30 seconds left to tie it up at 59.  Wahoo then held the ball for the last shot, which Murren hit, but left 4 seconds too many on the clock, for Kingston's shot.

"It was a very disappointing loss, to lose a game on a half court shot. Our kids did a great job of battling back from an 11 points second half deficit, to take a 9-point lead with 2:50 left. We just made too many mistakes in the final 2:50. Those mistakes got us beat, much more than the half court shot," said Coach Kevin Scheef.

"Taylor really took over in the second half, and made some huge shots to get us back in the game.  Grant was terrific from the line in the fourth quarter as he was 6-6, and did a great job on the glass with 12 boards. Austin had a really nice game for us as well," Scheef added.

Taylor Murren led Wahoo with 25 points. Grant Anderson had 14 points, and Austin Watton added 13. Layne Moore had 5 assists, Murren had 4 steals, and Anderson had a game-high 12 boards, and Watton added 6.

Wahoo falls to 9-8, and will close out the regular season against Schuyler on Friday night. North Bend improves to 10-9. The two teams will meet again on Monday night in Sub-District action at Seward.

Ashland-Greenwood (Away)--February 9, 2008

Wahoo    60
Ashland-Greenwood    52

The Wahoo Warriors defeated the Ashland-Greenwood Bluejays 60-52 on Saturday night at Wahoo.

The game was close early and was tied at 11 after one quarter. Wahoo opened up a 19-13 lead in the second quarter on back-to-back treys from Layne Moore and Grant Anderson. The Bluejays rallied back to take a one-point lead at halftime 27-26.

In the third quarter, Ashland opened up a 6-point lead at 41-35 after a Brian Romans trey, and then led 45-42 entering the fourth quarter.

Wahoo trailed 47-44, when baskets from Moore and Austin Watton, followed by another trey from Moore, and a steal and lay up from Taylor Murren put Wahoo up 53-47, with 2:20 left. Murren then hit 7 of 8 free throws in the final two minutes to seal the win for the Warriors, 60-52.

"The 9-0 run midway through the fourth quarter was huge, it was the game. The entire game had been a struggle. We just did not play with much energy or enthusiasm. The best thing about tonight was that we found a way to win, even though we were not very sharp," said Coach Kevin Scheef.

"Layne Moore hit some very big shots for us tonight. It was great to see him shoot with such confidence. He has shot the ball much better in practice lately, and it was good to see that carry over to the game," Scheef added. "Taylor hit some clutch free throws at the end, and made some big plays throughout the game."

Murren led Wahoo with 23 points, and Moore added 12. Brian Romans led the Bluejays with 20 points.

Ashland out-rebounded Wahoo 29-23. Anderson and David Stuchlik led Wahoo with 5 boards apiece, and Murren and Jake Barry had 4 assists apiece.

Wahoo improved to 9-7, while Ashland fell to 4-12. The Warriors will close out the regular season this week with home games with North Bend on Tuesday and Schuyler on Friday.

Grand Island Central Catholic (Away)--February 2, 2008

Wahoo    55
GICC    59

The Wahoo Warriors were defeated by the Grand Island Central Catholic Crusaders 59-55 in the Heartland Classic Shootout held in Grand Island at the Heartland Event Center.

The Crusaders jumped out to a 15-7 lead midway through the first quarter on five treys, with two each coming from Spencer Fahey and Jake O'Connor. The Warriors battled back to tie it up at 15 after a David Stuchlik basket at the end of one quarter.

The second quarter stayed close. GICC held a 25-21 lead with 3 minutes left in the half, but Wahoo scored the last 7 points of the half, including a trey from Austin Watton, to take a 28-25 lead into the half.

The third quarter continued to stay close, but saw the Crusaders take the lead 41-39 heading into the fourth quarter.

An 8-2 run by the Crusaders gave them their biggest lead of the game at 49-41. A Taylor Murren basket made it 49-43. After the two teams exchanged baskets, Murren hit a trey to cut the lead to 51-48, with 1:16 left. Following a Layne Moore steal, Watton got an offensive rebound and putback to cut the Crusader lead to 51-50 with 1:05 left. The Crusaders' Spencer Fahey hit 4 consecutive free throws sandwiched around a Warrior turnover to make it 55-50, with 39 seconds left. A Watton trey with 27 seconds left, cut the lead to 55-53, but the Crusaders would hit 4 more free throws in the final seconds to seal the win 59-55. The Crusaders hit 10-11 free throws in the fourth quarter.

"I thought our kids really competed hard, and I thought we played very well against a very good team. Like I told the kids, if we had played at this level all year, we wouldn't have 7 losses right now. Hopefully, we have our best basketball in front of us in this final month of the season," said Coach Kevin Scheef.

It was a well-played game, in which both teams combined for just 21 turnovers.  Wahoo shot 51% from the floor, while GICC shot 47% from the floor.

"Taylor really shot the ball well for us today. He made some big shots for us, as did Austin. Our shot selection was good, we shared the ball well, and we really handled GICC's tough pressure defense very well," Scheef added.

Murren led the Warriors with 23 points, on 9-14 shooting from the floor. Watton and Grant Anderson added 12 points apiece. Anderson and Watton led the Warriors on the glass with 7 and 6 rebounds respectively.

The Crusaders improve to 13-5, while Wahoo drops to 8-7.

Arlington (Away)--February 1, 2008

Wahoo    54
Arlington    41

The Wahoo Warriors defeated Capitol Conference foe Arlington 54-41 on Friday night.

Wahoo trailed 11-8 after one quarter. Wahoo trailed 15-13 in the second quarter, when a 7-0 run off of baskets from Austin Watton, David Stuchlik, and another Watton basket put Wahoo up 20-15. The Warriors still led 22-18 late in the first half, when Watton hit a trey, was fouled and made the free throw for a 4 point play to put Wahoo up 26-18 at halftime.

Wahoo quickly opened up the lead in the third quarter. An 11-2 run, in which Watton had 7 of those points pushed the Warrior lead to 37-20, midway through the third quarter. Arlington then made a 13-2 run of their own. After two Beau Brown free throws, the Eagles had cut the Warrior lead to 39-33, early in the fourth quarter. The Warriors responded though, as Taylor Murren hit a trey on the other end to make 42-33. Following an Eagle miss, Grant Anderson scored on two of the next three possessions, and Murren added another free throw to make it 47-33. Wahoo would then 7-9 free throws down the stretch to seal the win.

"We needed this win after losing our last three games. Austin Watton had a terrific game for us, and Taylor Murren hit a couple of big shots for us in the second half. It was a good win," said Coach Kevin Scheef.

"That 7-0 in the second quarter was big, because it appeared that they really wanted to spread us out and slow the game down. When we got the lead, they were not able to do that against us as effectively," Scheef added.

Watton had a double-double with 15 points, and 10 boards. He also had 6 assists and no turnovers. Murren added 14 points and 4 assists. Grant Anderson added 12 points.

Raymond Central (1st Round Conference Tournament @ Conestoga)--January 22, 2008

Wahoo    63
Raymond Central    64

A potentially game-tying trey at the buzzer from the Warriors’ Taylor Murren was ruled a two-point shot, and Wahoo lost a heartbreaking 64-63 contest in the first round of the Capitol Conference Tournament. The game was a rematch of a contest seven days earlier that the Mustangs also won 59-55.

Raymond Central led 14-11 after one quarter of play, and 28-21 at halftime. The third quarter saw the Mustangs stretch the lead to 11 at 38-27, and the quarter ended with Central up 7 at 45-38.

In the fourth quarter, Central took its biggest lead of the game, at 50-38, on a Brock Prater free throw. The Mustang lead was still 11, 52-41, when Murren and Austin Watton hit back-to-back treys to cut the lead to 52-47, with 4:17 left. The Mustangs were still up 58-50 with 1:28 left. A trey from David Stuchlik made it 58-53. Following an Alex Holley free throw with 37 seconds left, Central led 59-53. A Watton lay-up cut the lead to 59-55 with 23 seconds left. A Kerry Schachenmeyer free throw pushed the lead back to 5 at 60-55 with 21 seconds left. A trey from Grant Anderson made it 60-58 with 12 seconds left. Two free throws from Jason Thalken gave the Mustangs a 4-point lead, 62-58 with 11 seconds left. A Murren trey with 6 seconds left, made it 62-61. Alex Holley then hit both free throws with 5 seconds left to make it 64-61. Murren then pushed the ball down the floor, hitting a shot at the buzzer that the officials ruled was a 2.

"It was a very disappointing loss, to think that we had sent the game into overtime, but that is the breaks of the game. A game never comes down to just one call. I am very proud of our kids' efforts. I thought we competed extremely hard, which is something that we did not do our last time out," said Coach Kevin Scheef.

Rebounding again was a major issue for the Warriors. Central out-rebounded Wahoo 42-26. The Mustangs also shot 35 free throws, to just 10 for the Warriors.

Murren led for the Warriors in double figures with 18 points. Stuchlik scored 13 and Austin Watton and Grant Anderson added 12 a piece.

Central improves to 10-4 and will face Bennington in the Semi-Finals of the Conference Tournament. Wahoo drops to 7-6, and will have 10 days off before traveling to Arlington.

Norfolk Catholic (Away)--January 18, 2008

Wahoo    37
Norfolk Catholic    59

A very cold shooting second half spelled doom for the Warriors in a 59-37 loss at Norfolk Catholic.

The Warriors led much of the first half against the Knights. Wahoo led 15-12 after one quarter, and still led 25-22 with a minute left in the half. A Keaton Knake 3-point play tied the game at 25 with 45 seconds left. Following a missed Warrior shot, the Knights worked for the last shot. A trey from the corner was off, but a foul was called. The Knights’ Chad Pinkelman made two free throws, missed the third, but Knake tipped in the missed free throw at the buzzer to put Norfolk Catholic up 4, at 29-25.

An Austin Watton trey cut the Knights’ lead to 29-28 a minute into the third quarter. The Warriors would only score one more time in the quarter. Seven Warrior turnovers and 1-7 shooting from the field would give the Knights a 45-30 lead after three quarters.

The Warriors would not cut into the lead the rest of the way, and Norfolk Catholic went on to the 59-37 win.

"We played a very solid first half. Again, we were plagued by an inability to put four good quarters together. We were dominated on the glass, and add to that 31 percent shooting from the floor, it is very tough to be successful doing that," said Coach Kevin Scheef.

The Warriors were out-rebounded 39-17 on the glass, and were just 2-18 from the floor in the second half, and just 13-41 from the floor for the game.

Wahoo drops to 7-5, while Norfolk Catholic improves to 7-6.

Raymond Central (Home)--January 15, 2008

Wahoo    55
Raymond Central    59

A huge second half comeback by the Wahoo Warriors fell just short on Tuesday night as they lost at home to the Raymond Central Mustangs 59-55. The Warriors cut a 21-point second half deficit to 3 in the final seconds, but was not quite enough.

Central jumped on Wahoo early and led 19-8 after one quarter behind 8 Nate Bloch points.

The Mustang lead stretched to 17 in the second quarter at 31-14 before a Grant Anderson trey cut the lead to 31-17 at halftime.

In the third quarter, following another Bloch trey, Central had its largest lead of the game at 21, 39-18. Field goals from Anderson and Austin Watton allowed Wahoo to cut the lead to 14, 47-33 after three quarters.

The Warriors slowly chipped away at the Mustang lead in the fourth quarter. An Anderson basket got the lead under 10, at 51-42, since early in the game. The Mustangs still led by 9, 57-48, with 34 seconds left. An Anderson 3-point play made it 57-51 with 25 seconds left. An Alex Holley free throw made it 58-51. An Austin Watton bucket with 13 seconds left, made it 58-53. A steal and Anderson lay up made it 58-55 with 8 seconds left. The Warriors were unable to get a steal on the inbounds, and had to foul the Mustangs’ Alex Holley with 4 seconds left. Holley made 1 of 2 free throws to seal the win for Central, 59-55.

"I am extremely proud of the effort and the character our kids showed in cutting a 21-point lead to 3, and giving us a chance at the end. Our kids did not quit, and showed a lot of heart. However, we have to play with that kind of effort and intensity for 32 minutes, not just 16," said Coach Kevin Scheef.

"I thought Grant Anderson had a tremendous game for us," Scheef added.

Anderson scored 24 points and had 8 rebounds, while going against Central's 6'7” center Jason Thalken. Austin Watton added 15 points and 4 assists, and Taylor Murren added 10 points and 6 steals. Layne Moore contributed 6 boards and 5 assists.

The Warriors were hurt by cold shooting from behind the arc, as they made just 4-18 (22%) three-point shots.

Raymond Central improves to 8-3, while the Warriors fall to 7-4. Wahoo travels to Norfolk Catholic on Friday, and then has a rematch with Raymond Central in the first round of the Conference Tournament on Tuesday.

D.C. West (Away)--January 12, 2008

Wahoo    72
D.C. West    55

The Wahoo Warriors defeated the D.C. West Falcons 72-55 on Saturday night.

Wahoo jumped out to a big lead in the first quarter, and led 18-7 after back-to-back Taylor Murren field goals. A trey from the Falcons’ Morgan Bailey closed the lead to 18-10 after one quarter.

D.C. West scored the first five points of the second quarter to cut the lead to 18-15. Back-to-back baskets from the Warriors' Jake Barry pushed the lead back to 22-15. Wahoo led 35-26 when Bailey hit another trey to cut the lead to 35-29 at halftime.

D.C. West scored the first six points of the second half, the last three on another trey from Bailey to tie the game at 35. Wahoo then went on a run of its own. A trey from Murren, a bucket from Layne Moore, and a Jake Barry offensive rebound and putback put Wahoo up 42-35. A Murren jumper gave the Warriors a ten-point lead at 48-38 entering the final period.

A Murren basket and free throw pushed the lead to 56-42 in the fourth quarter. D.C. West would get no closer than 9 the rest of the way. Wahoo would hit 12 free throws in the fourth quarter to put the game away.

"We could have made things easier on ourselves, especially in the first half, if we had finished a number of shots right around the basket. We could never put them away until late in the game," said Coach Kevin Scheef.

"After losing an 11-point lead, I thought our kids showed a lot of composure in the third quarter when they tied it up. We didn't panic and went on a run of our own, which was good to see," Scheef added.

Murren had a big night for the Warriors with 21 points and 11 assists. Barry and Grant Anderson had big nights as well. Barry had 16 points and 10 boards, and Anderson had 16 points and 9 boards.

"Taylor really made some nice passes tonight, and Jake played a great game. He really plays hard and makes some great hustle plays. Also, Grant had a real good second half for us," said Scheef.

The Warriors forced 22 D.C. West turnovers while committing just 11 themselves. Wahoo improved its record to 7-3, while D.C. West falls to 2-9.

David City Aquinas (Away)--January 5, 2008

Wahoo    51

The Wahoo Warriors defeated the David City Aquinas Monarchs 51-35 on Saturday night in David City.

The Warriors scored the first 11 points of the game behind two baskets apiece from David Stuchlik and Grant Anderson and a trey from Taylor Murren. Wahoo led 15-7 after one quarter. The Monarchs got back in the game in the second quarter, and trailed only 24-20 at the half.

A trey from Layne Moore started Wahoo on a 10-2 run to build the lead to 34-22.   Wahoo led 40-25 after three quarters. The Warrior lead would grow as large as 21 in the fourth quarter at 46-25, before going on to the 51-35 win.

"The kids did a great job of coming back and playing hard after a rough night last night. Getting off to a good start was huge, then I thought we played a really nice second half. Our defensive pressure was much better tonight," said Coach Kevin Scheef.

Wahoo forced 23 Aquinas turnovers and held the Monarchs to just 21 percent (10-47) shooting from the floor. Murren led Wahoo with 14 points. Austin Watton and David Stuchlik scored 10 points and Grant Anderson added 8. Anderson grabbed 9 boards, and Stuchlik added 7 rebounds.

The Monarchs out-rebounded the Warriors 41-31. Wahoo's record is now 6-3. Aquinas falls to 2-7. The Warriors' next opponent is D.C. West, on Saturday in Valley.

Syracuse (Away)--January 4, 2008

Wahoo    45

The Wahoo Warriors were defeated by Conference rival Syracuse 62-45 on Friday night.

The Rockets led 14-8 after one quarter and stretched the lead to 26-12 after a basket by Tom Volkmer. The Warriors cut the lead to 9 by halftime, 30-21.

Syracuse scored the first 7 points of the third on Will Julifs’ fourth trey of the game, and baskets from Nick Reed and Chris Parde, to make it 37-21. Wahoo then climbed back in the game. Treys from Austin Watton, David Stuchlik, and one from Jake Barry to end the quarter cut the Rocket lead to 42-34 after three quarters.

A rebound and 3-point play from Grant Anderson to open the fourth quarter cut the lead to 5 at 42-37. The lead for Syracuse was again cut to 5 with 4 minutes remaining at 48-43 following a Stuchlk basket. Following a missed Syracuse free throw, the Warriors had a chance to cut the lead to 3, but a turnover, two missed treys and 3 more turnovers on the next 3 possessions squashed any comeback hopes for the Warriors. Syracuse went on an 8-0 run to make it 56-43 and would go on to the 62-45 win.

"We played better and we played harder in the second half, but playing one half of basketball against a good team is not going to get it done. It was a very frustrating night, and we have to find a way to play with more intensity and urgency," said Coach Kevin Scheef.

The Rockets shot 33 free throws to just 15 for Wahoo. Syracuse out-rebounded the Warriors 36-29. Poor shooting also doomed the Warriors, as they hit just 28 percent from the floor, compared to 46 percent for Syracuse.

Taylor Murren led Wahoo with 12 points. Grant Anderson added 9 points and 6 boards.

Wahoo falls to 5-3, while Syracuse improves to 6-3.

East Butler (@Neumann--Consolation Round Holiday Tournament)--December 29, 2007

Wahoo    60
East Butler

Senior David Stuchlik's lay up at the buzzer lifted the Wahoo Warriors past the East Butler Tigers 60-58 in the consolation game of the Holiday Tournament on Saturday night.

The first quarter saw the lead change hands a number of times. Taylor Murren's trey at the end of the quarter put the Warriors up 19-17 after one.

The Tigers led 26-22 with three minutes left in the half, when Wahoo went on a 10-1 to end the half. Two baskets a piece from Austin Watton and Stuchlik put Wahoo up 32-27 at halftime.

Wahoo saw its biggest lead of the game at 37-30 after a trey from Murren and a Watton basket. The Tigers then went on a 13-4 run to end the quarter and take a 43-41 lead heading into the final quarter.

A basket from Delayne Bohac gave East Butler its largest lead of the game at 47-41 with 5:30 left to play. A trey from Stuchlik and a Murren basket cut the lead to 47-46. The Tigers led 58-54 after a Ryley Cidlik turnaround jumper with 1:00 left. Stuchlik scored off of an offensive rebound with 40 seconds left to cut the lead to 58-56. Following two missed East Butler free throws, the Warriors’ Taylor Murren drove the lane, scored and was fouled with 11.8 seconds left to tie it up at 58. Murren missed the free throw. The Tigers got the rebound and headed up court, but Watton deflected a pass with 6 seconds left. Layne Moore picked up the loose ball, passed ahead to Watton, who made a great pass to Stuchlik under the basket. Stuchlik made the lay up as time expired in a very dramatic finish.

"I thought our kids showed great courage and found a way to get the job done, when things were not looking very good for us towards the end of the game. That was a great play that Austin made in the last 6 seconds. David also made a couple of big plays down the stretch, and Taylor hit a couple of big shots to get us back in the game," said Head Coach Kevin Scheef.

Murren led Wahoo with 19 points, including 4-8 shooting from behind the arc. David Stuchlik scored 14 points. Austin Watton added 13 points, and had 8 steals for the Warriors. Grant Anderson chipped in 8 points but collected a game-high 11 boards.

"We are very pleased to be 5-2 at this point in the season, but I think our kids know that we have to do a better job on the defensive end, and we have to take better care of the ball to beat the better teams on our schedule," added Scheef.

Wahoo is now 5-2 and will travel to Syracuse to face the Rockets next Friday night. East Butler drops to 3-4.

Lincoln Christian (@Neumann--1st Round Holiday Tournament)--December 28, 2007

Wahoo    51
Lincoln Christian

The Wahoo Warriors were defeated by the Lincoln Christian Crusaders 66-51 in the opening round of the Holiday Tournament.

Christian led 13-11 after one quarter of play. Back-to-back treys from Austin Watton gave the Warriors their final lead of the game at 17-16 early in the second quarter. Watton scored 15 of the Warriors’ first 17 points. Christian would lead 28-24 at the break.

Wahoo trailed by just two at 33-31 midway through the third quarter, after another Watton basket. Christian then broke the game open. A trey from Jacob Gipson, four consecutive free throws, and another trey from Gipson put Christian up 43-33. The Warriors would come no closer than eight points the rest of the way.

"Christian has a very nice team. They are long and athletic. They really pass the ball well. We did not defend the paint like we needed to. They shot way too many lay ups. We also have to take care of the ball better. Their pressure gave us a lot of problems, but you will not beat many teams turning it over 24 times," said Head Coach Kevin Scheef.

The Warriors turned the ball over 24 times, and were out-rebounded 32-22. The Crusaders shot 50 percent from the floor. The Warriors shot 36 percent from the floor.

"Austin Watton really had a great game for us. It was good to see him play very aggressively," added Scheef.

Watton scored a career high 21 points on 8-12 shooting from the floor, including 3-5 from behind the arc. David Stuchlik added 13 points, and Taylor Murren added 10 points. Watton also added 6 boards and 5 assists.

The Warriors dropped to 4-2 and will face East Butler in the consolation game, while Christian improved to 4-1 and will play Bishop Neumann in the Tournament Finals.

Logan View (Home)--December 20, 2007

Wahoo    71
Logan View

The Wahoo Warriors defeated the Logan View Raiders on Thursday night 71-38.

Wahoo jumped out to a 7-0 lead behind a trey from Austin Watton, a David Stuchlik bucket, and another Watton basket. Wahoo led 15-6 after one quarter and 34-17 at halftime. 

The Warriors went on a 22-2 run to start the third quarter, to take a 56-19 lead. Reserves played the rest of the game, and the Warriors ended with a 71-38 win.

"Our kids played well. They gave a great effort, they were very focused and they did what they needed to do. I am pleased with the progress that we have made from game one. I think that we have improved each time out, and we just have to keep working and getting better every day," said Coach Kevin Scheef.

The Warriors had 4 players in double figures led by Taylor Murren with 16 points. Grant Anderson had 14, Stuchlik scored 11 and Watton added 10.

Wahoo dominated on the glass, out-rebounding Logan View 43-22. Watton and Anderson both had 7 boards.

Wahoo improved to 4-1, while Logan View dropped to 1-4. Wahoo's next game will be in the Holiday Tournament against Lincoln Christian on Friday, the 27th of December.

Fort Calhoun (Away)--December 14, 2007

Wahoo    66
Fort Calhoun

The Wahoo Warriors defeated the Fort Calhoun Pioneers 66-59 on Friday night in a Capitol Conference match-up.

Fort Calhoun led 19-15 after one quarter of play, and led 27-25 at halftime. Wahoo took the first lead since early in the game on a field goal from Grant Anderson to go up 32-31. The lead went back and forth a number of times in the quarter. A Taylor Murren trey to end the quarter put Wahoo up 44-40 after three quarters.

An Alex Frary trey put the Pioneers up 49-48 midway through the fourth quarter. Baskets from Jake Barry, Murren, and Anderson put Wahoo up 54-49, with 3:20 left. Back to back scores from Fort Calhoun cut the lead to 54-53. Two Murren free throws and an Austin Watton putback put Wahoo up 58-53 with 1:30 left. A Frary basket cut the lead to 58-55 with 48 seconds left. Two Watton free throws made it 60-55 with 41 seconds left. Another trey from Alex Frary cut the lead to 60-58 with 33 seconds left, but four straight free throws from Murren iced the win for the Warriors, and gave them the 66-59 win.

"We knew this was going to be a tough game for us going in. I thought we really battled and made the plays that we needed to in the fourth quarter. We made some big free throws down the stretch that allowed us to escape with the win. We have to do a better job, though, of taking care of the ball and making better decisions with the ball," said Coach Kevin Scheef.

The Warriors forced 28 Fort Calhoun turnovers, but turned the ball over themselves 24 times. Wahoo shot 26 free throws to just 4 for Fort Calhoun.

Taylor Murren led Wahoo with 17 points. Anderson added a career high 15 points. David Stuchlik had 12 points and Watton added 9. Stuchlik added 8 rebounds. Barry had 6 steals for the Warrors, and Watton had 5 assists.

Tony Sprick led Fort Calhoun with 22 points, and Alex Frary added 18. With the win, Wahoo is now 3-1, while Fort Calhoun drops to 1-3. The Warriors host Logan View on Thursday, in their final game before the Christmas break.

Conestoga (Home)--December 7, 2007

Wahoo    76

The Wahoo Warriors defeated the Conestoga Cougars 76-41 on Friday night in Capitol Conference Action.

Wahoo led 18-13 after one quarter, and by 14 at halftime, 37-23. The Warriors put the Cougars away in the third quarter, to take a 53-31 lead heading into the final quarter.

Junior point guard Taylor Murren scored a career-high 22 points, along with 5 assists and 5 boards. Senior David Stuchlik added 13 points. Grant Anderson, Austin Watton, and Layne Moore all added 8 apiece. Jake Barry led the Warriors off the bench with 9 boards. Moore added 5 assists.

"This was a nice win for us. I thought we played hard, and our shot selection was much improved over our last game. We took good care of the ball and made good decisions for the most part," said Head Coach Kevin Scheef.

A big key to the game was Wahoo committing just 7 turnovers, while forcing Conestoga into 22 turnovers. Wahoo shot 60% from the field, while Conestoga shot 34%.

"Our bench really played well tonight. Jake Barry brings great energy and effort into the game for us, and Tyler Brunsting, Matt Myers, and Jason Demaray played well for us off the bench," added Scheef.

The Warriors improved to 2-1, while Conestoga dropped to 0-2. The Warriors will travel to Fort Calhoun next Friday night.

Seward (Away)--December 3, 2007

Wahoo    50
Seward    48

The Wahoo Warriors defeated the Seward Bluejays 50-48 on Monday, in a game postponed from Saturday due to the weather. Taylor Murren hit a driving lay up with 3 seconds left to give the Warriors the win.

Wahoo trailed 11-10 after one quarter, but outscored the Bluejays 19-7 in the second quarter. A Murren trey right before half gave the Warriors their largest lead of the game at 29-18. Senior David Stuchlik scored 13 of his game high 21 points in the first half.

The third quarter would prove to be a tough one for Wahoo. A Murren trey would be the only points of the quarter for Wahoo, as they were outscored 12-3, to cut the lead to 32-30 after three quarters.

Wahoo extended the lead to 38-31 after a Stuchlik 3-point play with five minutes left. Murren's two free throws kept the lead at 7, 44-37 with 2:30 left. A Tyler Hackbart trey cut the lead to 44-40. A steal and 3-point play from Hackbart cut the lead to one at 44-43 with two minutes to play. Two Stuchlik free throws pushed the lead back to 46-43. Two free throws from the Jays’ John Wiemer made it 46-45 with 1:20 to play. Two Murren free throws made the score 48-45 with 1:05 left. Seward answered with a trey from Phil Friedrich in the corner to tie it up at 48 with 55 seconds left. Wahoo went to their delay game in the final 55 seconds. After a time-out with 15 seconds left, Murren drove the lane and put up the driving lay up to give Wahoo the win.

"It was a good win for us, to go to Seward and beat a solid Class B team. Other than the third quarter, I thought we played pretty good basketball. Our shot selection was not very good in the third quarter and that allowed Seward to get back in the game. Our guys did a nice job down the stretch, made the free throws and the shots that we needed to make to pull out the win," said Head Coach Kevin Scheef.

Stuchlik led Wahoo with 21 points and 9 boards. Murren added 14 points. Jake Barry contributed 9 rebounds. Wahoo out-rebounded Seward 28-21.

Wahoo's record is now 1-1, while Seward falls to 1-1. The Warriors will now host Conestoga on Friday night.

Bennington (Home)--November 30, 2007

Wahoo    49

The Wahoo Warriors were soundly defeated by the visiting Bennington Badgers in the season opener for both teams 75-49.

Bennington led 12-5 after the first quarter, and 32-17 at halftime.  Bennington extended the lead early in the third quarter, and the Warriors never threatened the rest of the way.

"Bennington has an excellent team. Our roles are reversed from a year ago.  We are a very inexperienced team, and they are the veteran team. They have great size and excellent athleticism. We could not stop them, and we could not get into any kind of offensive rhythm because of their tough defense," said Warrior Head Coach Kevin Scheef.

David Stuchlik led Wahoo with 16 points and 6 rebounds. Austin Watton added 13 points and 5 steals. Taylor Murren had 7 assists.

The Badgers connected on 9 of 22 treys. Senior point guard Tyler Byrd hit 6 treys and led Bennington with 21 points. Denver Klaus added 15 points. Bennington, which had 4 guys 6'5 or taller, out-rebounded the Warriors 33-22.

Wahoo travels to take on the Seward Bluejays on Saturday.

Warriors Open 2007-2008 Basketball Season 1-1 vs Bennington and Seward

No comments have been added yet. Please add yours!